Wardrobe Essentials for Men
Wardrobe Essentials for Men
In winter time it’s all too easy to throw on anything that feels comfortable, as long as it’s warm and protects you from the elements. But there’s no need to compromise between fashion and utility, especially when there are so many amazing fashion trends to choose from which have been carefully built upon utilitarian design ethics.
The easiest way to stay in fashion is to be selective in your colour choices. Using colour is also a great way to step outside your comfort zone, if you’re not the type of guy who’s keen on couture. Staying on trend doesn’t mean paying kiss service to the catwalks, and can be surprisingly easy to get right just by taking a look at what colours are hot on the high street right now.
Creating an On-Trend Winter Wardrobe
Another great way to stay stylish in winter is by assembling a capsule wardrobe of several key items which can be mixed and matched to create a fashionable overall effect. But choosing which pieces to go for means planning ahead, as you’ll want your wardrobe to last you ‘til the warmer months. The following are some key wardrobe essentials for men which will be sure to revitalise your look, as well as keep you warm.
Key Fashion Items for Men
- A sport coat. Patterns are starting to emerge as a rising trend for SS 2013, moving away from the subtle block colouring of winter. A patterned sports coat will make a great addition to any man’s wardrobe for the New Year.
- A V neck sweater. This simple wardrobe must have has emerged every autumn and winter season since time began (or that’s what it feels like!) and is a welcome contrast to the excesses of executive tailoring.
- The white button down shirt is an absolute fashion must-have for men right now, and will provide the perfect compliment for any upcoming colour trend.
- The power tie. Ties have seen a mini revival of their own over the past few years, particularly in relation to TV shows such as Mad Men, which have a lot to answer for when it comes to the relatively recent predilection for 1940s and 50s style tailoring.
- Stone washed jeans. Always a must-have, denim has been seen not only in leg wear but in shirts, jackets, hats and even shoes! But a pair of quality, stone washed jeans is a must have for men, as they’ll never go out of style.
- Vintage style trainers. Nike blazers are a great example of how trainers have been repurposed to fit in with the trend for vintage styling, and can be worn with both jeans and shorts for an effortless urban cool.
- Brown leather shoes. The right pair of brogues, wingtips or oxfords will see you easily from the workplace to the cocktail bar, and can be worn with virtually anything.